I've received LinkedIn invites in the past, but have always just ignored them since I have not really found a use for this in any way in my personal or professional life. It's just never come up over any type of conversation I've had. Even when I would reject LinkedIn invites from my friends, they never badgered me about it or claimed that this is a must have site to belong to. To me, it just seems like a 'facebook' for resumes and professional networking or a match.com for jobs. I have yet to meet one person to claim that they have found their job or boyfriend/girlfriend through LinkedIn as the video claims it can be used for.
One thing I like about the site is that it lists the titles of the people that I know so I can direct jobless friends to contacts that may know of an opening. If only LinkedIn had been around during Monica and Rachel's bet with Chandler and Joey....maybe then they would have remembered Chandler's title and would NOT have lost their apartment!(on "Friends")
A reason why the field of education may be underrepresented is due to logistics of how how individual districts may make their hires; mostly through job fairs or other face to face meetings. On "paper" anyone can look good and you're going to only write yourself in a way to make yourself attractive to others, but with the nature of education, face to face time should trump anything on paper to make sure that their personality and professionalism is as stellar as their what their resume claims.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Years ago I was invited to join LinkedIn and did. Nothing ever came of it and I never went to the site. I agree that in our profession, face to face impressions are vital, and that is lost with social sites.
ReplyDeleteYour example from Friends is cute...and true! You make an excellent point about how educators are hired. Surely this is not the only profession that holds this standard. I am familiar with the world of engineering and I know that a person can be interviewed dozens of times. I see LinkedIn as another opportunity "to get your name out there".
ReplyDeleteYou are so creative in your posts. I love reading them. I wish I had that same quick wit and creative thinking. Your post is giving me the fuel I need to not even register with Linkedin. So should I?
ReplyDelete