Facebook is like being able to invite your own friends to a party, while Ning is like walking into a room full of strangers. That's how I felt when I explored or joined a few Nings. In order to join each network, you have to submit a series of answers that the moderator has put in place. It's like seeing if you pass the bouncer test while you wait to see if your name is on the list at the door. Some are pretty exclusive, like the 6, 7, 8 Independent School Math Teachers Ning where you need to put in information in order to verify that you are in fact a teacher at an Independent School. I passed on joining this one because it seemed a little less private - I didn't necessarily want a bunch of strangers to know my exact location of employment.
The one that I have spent most of my time exploring is the Mathematics 24x7 Ning. It seems that a fair amount of members are math teachers and I have found some very enlightening posts on this site. This site currently has 378 members and is fairly active. The last 12 posts/activities were within the past 24 hours.
Blogging in Ning seems more appropriate if I have a math specific question. I have 377 people who are interested in the same field and my post would probably receive more feedback than if I posted on Blogger. In Blogger, if I had 377 followers, maybe only 5-10 of them may be able to relate to a math teacher related post.
Would creating a Ning for students seem like the same thing as a class Moodle? What do you think?
I think it would be similar to a Moodle, except more public. I was considering the same question in my blog. It looks like the Nings may provide an added reality check that is lacking in Moodle. Students would be opening themselves/their thoughts up to more than just their class, it seems.
ReplyDeleteSpot on, Mathlete! I think your comparison to FaceBook and Nings is perfect. It was like a bunch of strangers. I too am wondering how exactly it will fit in my professional development. I also liked your point about not disclosing too much! We still have to be careful on that front.
ReplyDeleteOopsie you're not Mathlete, sorry!
ReplyDeleteKara - are you lost in the cyberworld? I AM Mathleete!! (with TWO e's. though.. come on.. put it together)... haha
ReplyDeleteGreat analogy with Facebook and Ning. I like the idea of mingling with others that share my interest. I never considered the concept of stranger...but it is true.
ReplyDelete