Saturday, February 6, 2010

Thing 7

RSS is appropriately named as Real Simple Syndication and it's true! It does make web surfing Real Simple. I set up my Google Reader and started subscribing to the sites that I usually visit when I go online. It's a bit overwhelming at first because I usually go to sites such as cnn and yahoo to read the news and since they constantly have updates, those appear first in my reader before the blog posts. Since I'm reading updated news stories, there are usually many of them as well.

The reader does provide a way for me to just see stories from each subscription site but I have to admit, I miss the friendly layout and links to related stories on each of the independent news sites.

However, using Google Reader makes it easy to see updates on everyone's blog since you don't have to keep rechecking each blog separately to see if someone has updated it, but I may undo my subscriptions to the news sites since these sites are constantly updated and the chances of me going to the site with nothing new posted is very rare.

I agree with Carolyn's post about not really having many sites to follow or read right now. Since I am following mostly blogs on here, I find the blogger dashboard being able to do the same job as google reader.

Time to find some of those orange symbols on pages to make Google Reader more worthwhile!

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you are saying about the format of the news sites, but I am willing to trade that for ease of use. I love the fact that I do not have to go to half a dozen links to see if there is a new post.

    ReplyDelete