Youtube is my GO TO site for videos over United Streaming or other video sites. There's such a wealth of information and you can pretty much find anything on there. Videos on youtube make it onto the actual news stations as Viral Videos and people talk about videos that they saw like they do with movies and tv shows. You know you've seen them.... the dancing baby, charlie bit my finger, the keyboard cat, Numa Numa, and the evolution of dance. The whole premise of Youtube is great (when used wisely). EVERYDAY people can upload videos of themselves doing whatever (illustrated by the hundreds if not thousands of coke and mentos rocket videos). You never know when an instant Youtube celebrity will be born.
I prefer Youtube over United Streaming for a couple of reasons. United Streaming is definitely more educational - many of the math videos that I find on there are instructional videos - a person with some kids, teaching some concept. Youtube will also pull up those kinds of videos, but I can also find music/songs/rap videos on the topic as well. The feedback and rating system as well as the number of views on Youtube also help me find good videos to use. UnitedStreaming's rating system still leaves something to be desired and it's not as popular as Youtube. However, I do like how UnitedStreaming breaks up their video and how they are able to pull out a specific 2 minute clip in a video that is 25 minutes long so I don't have to watch the entire video to find a specific clip.
Here's a hilarious math video titled Mathmaticious that's gained over 2 million views. It's catchy and appropriate to show to students. Very clever in the way he presents the different math topics in a popular song that the kids would enjoy.
This is one of my favorite Youtube videos - It's a guy playing Canon in D on his electric guitar. It is incredible! I love the traditional and classical version of Canon in D, but this version is awesome. A real talented musician. With over 70 million views, here it is!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love the Mathmaticious video. I remember the first time you showed it to me. I think that was my first real exposure to YouTube. YouTube is also a media that our students understand are tuned in to - hence high interest. Did you explore SchoolTube or TeacherTube?
ReplyDelete