



I've originally heard this term used in music where someone has mashed together songs by different artists. The first music mashup I heard was made by someone who goes by Norwegian Recycling. Click on the name to see a Youtube video of one of my favorite mashups done by him called 8 become 1 (mixed 8 songs into 1 song). The one posted on our site with the Mashup of the top 25 billboard hits is ridiculous! I love it!
I enjoy the Flickr color picker. It's just so aesthetically soothing to look at similar hues in different pictures. I could use this to get some artwork up on my bare walls and easily match it to various colors of the room! Here's a collage made using Flickr color picker!
One other web maship that I read about is called Twittervision. It mashes together Twitter and Google Maps. You basically get to see a flat world map and then Tweets will pop up from the map in real time. Even cooler is Twittervision in 3D which is the same concept but in 3D using a spinning globe! This is more for entertainment though, but it is fascinating to get a glimpse of what other people are saying all over the world. Especially when the Olympics are going on, it's neat to see what people in other countries say about the results! Here's an example of what Twittervision in 3D looks like. It's mesmerizing if you leave it on and just watch it spin. While watching the tweets pop up, I found out that it's officially fish face week on Facebook! So if your friends start changing their pictures - now you know why!



Overacheiver! Just kidding. I think it's great how you included your examples of playing with the tools. I too had associated mashups with music first. But I think it is an appropriate way to describe these new tools. How would you use them in your classroom?
ReplyDeleteI love your example from Flickr Color Picker, but then I love anything that has the Google colors. The Twittervision is interesting. I love the tie to the Olympics. I wonder if there is more actvity on it now because of the Olympics?
ReplyDeleteThe Google colors? Don't you mean the primary colors? They were there first.. hence the word PRIMARY...
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of linking people around the world to historical or current events. The kids have such a hard time realizing that places I teach in history are still there today...
ReplyDeleteGreen is not a primary color- it is made from two primary colors...
ReplyDeleteActually, Red, Green, and Blue are primary colors of LIGHT - these 3 colors are able to make all the colors in the spectrum. But Red, Blue, and Yellow are the color primary colors (used in art). I just clumped them all together and referred to them as primary colors!! =)
ReplyDelete