Monday, February 22, 2010

Thing 11

Anti-Social Bookmarking!  I've signed up for a Del.iciou.us account and have tagged a few of the math websites I found through searching.  So far, I haven't shared with anyone since I'm still figuring out how the sharing aspect works (hence the anti-social aspect).  The idea is good and I like the fact that I can access my bookmarks from ANY computer as opposed to them just being tied to just my home or school computer.  BIG advantage here.  The social aspect is what will be fun to play around with.  Right now - besides keeping a running list for you, you could really just use Google to find the site for you again, but I'm interested to use the sharing aspect.  Hmm... when you share, do you have to enter in the person's Delicious account name or can you enter in the email?  EDIT: Okay, you can put either an email address or the person's Delicious account name to share sites. 

I also like how the site will tell you how many others have tagged/saved the site - to me, the more popular the site is, the better resource it is (in theory).  So that in itself should save me some time.  However, I'm finding that I need to refine my searches.  Searching for "algebra" comes back with many hits - and some of the popular tags are ones that I don't personally find useful as a teacher.

When I send people links to sites, it's mostly a solitary news article, not really an entire site.  For this purpose, I don't really see an advantage of doing this through Delicious.  When I see an article about a baby stroller recall - I can immediately send it to my sister and brother in law and I don't necessarily want to bookmark/archive this site or tag it.  The list of tag words also can be overwhelming too - as I was adding sites, when I had 3 bookmarked I had a list of 13 tag words.  Imagine if I had 100 sites with 3 tag words (minimum) - that's a list of at least 300 tags!  Yikes...  Also when I save a site, I wish the tags the tag words other people used to tag the site would come up automatically!

Another disadvantage is that I really don't know many people that use Delicious yet! And I have to search for them by the name they used to sign up... not by email.  That might make it hard to look for the right people.  My Delicious name is "J"... yes I know.. so creative and specific!

I don't even know what I was searching for on the site, but I found a REALLY fun site to play around with called Build Your Wild Self where you can create an avatar of yourself made up of different animal parts.

Here is me as "normal"
 

Here is me as my wild self!



NO Comments on how this second picture is my normal one please! 
Create your wild self! Would love to see it.

3 comments:

  1. I almost made creating an avatar of yourself as one of the 23 Things. I looked at this site:
    http://avatara.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many comments to choose from... I also need to refine my search on delicious. I keep getting inundated with sites that are not helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...I sent you my Wild Side...I am not sure that it is a true indication of who I am.

    ReplyDelete