Wiki what wiki what wiki wiki what what?! (Surely there is a song out there that starts like this....)
I started off doing the easy assignment - it was super easy and fun to read since the pages were already set up. Some of the empty sites were still Protected/Locked but once I signed up for an account, I was able to access and edit those pages.
I looked into editing Wikipedia - I was trying to start off small to see if I could just upload a picture of my guinea pigs/rabbits in the wikipedia entry about guinea pigs and rabbits, but it turns out you have to be an Auto Confirmed User before you are allowed to upload photos. Being auto confirmed means your account is at least 4 days old and you make 10 edits. Hmmm... I'll pass on this one for now. It is a little intimidating because I'm by no means a rabbit/guinea pig expert so I don't feel qualified to write/edit/add my experiences with these animals.
I did look at the Wiki entry on our school - it does need a lot more information! There was a blank section on the Mission, and I noticed our webpage has this information. I was tempted to just cut and paste the Mission section off our webpage and put it on the Wikipedia entry... but I didn't know if that violated any copyright issues. Just heard back and turns out we can just repost it! So here I go....
Okay I just added the Mission part to our Wikipedia entry. I did NOT like the editing page/box to edit this entry. I prefer the WYSIWYG pages (what you see is what you get). For example in the wikipedia editing box, it listed each goal on its own line but then when you went to view it, it was one continuous sentence!! So I had to add a space in between each one in order for it to be separate. Maybe someone can figure out how to clean it up. Also - no options for bullets in this entry?
I also clicked on the edit button on the Mission Page and when I went to save my changes to see the actual entry, my missions entry was now part of the background section - it deleted the Mission section entirely! So then I had to go back to edit this page and add the Mission page back in there... it wasn't as straight forward as I would have liked. But at least our wikipedia entry is growing slowly but surely!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have been working on the Wikipedia entry for the school and I can tell you that it's not easy. They have a lot of rules to follow and if you don't follow them, someone comes along and "reverts" all of your hard work.
ReplyDeleteOne thing you should use if you edit Wikipedia is the beta editor. It is WYSIWYG editor.
Nice try on editing our Wikipedia page. Now that 4 days have past, will you try to upload a picture of my guinea pigs/rabbits?
ReplyDelete