Friday, March 12, 2010

Thing 19

Podcasting!

The podcasts I tried to listen to on the Learn Out Loud site didn't load for me and the Educational Podcast Network's podcasts had a few math ones that were a bit too cheesy.  So I went over to iTunes instead and found this one to be the easiest one to use.  iTunes has a variety of search functions that make it easy to find new and popular topics.  I've already subscribed to a few Podcasts:
  • Freakonomics Radio
  • The Math Dude: Quick and Easy Tips
  • Mugglecast
  • Stuff You Missed in History Class (from HowStuffWorks.com)
  • Stuff You Should Know
  • BrainStuff
  • Twilight Saga
  • A Video podcast of a comedy duo (uploads pretty frequently and about 3 minutes max)
I'm finding that I have the attention span of a fly (at least right now).  I prefer the podcasts that last about three minutes long rather than some of these podcasts that are over an hour long!  I am also enjoying the podcasts from the people of howstuffworks.com because of the variety they offer on all sorts of random topics.  Another podcast I looked into was the Colbert Report, but it costs $1.99 for each upload.  Pass...

I also looked into some podcasts on iTunesU.  Lots of Screencast type math tutorials on here which may be helpful for students to use as a resource.  I may look into doing some podcasting.  I'm wondering if it's easier to podcast or screencast....it seems that podcasting would be more mobile than a screencast.

3 comments:

  1. iTunes really is king of the podcast directories.

    So you are thinking of podcasting/screencasting.... How about your students making their own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have your students create a podcast to explain/teach how to solve a problem. (That's what I do with grammar concepts)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh when you said that you have the "attention span of a fly." I know this has nothing to do with podcasting, but it is funny. At NECC the TechSmith presentation about Camtastia is a math example. I would think that math might be harder to do as a podcast, but you were able to find several examples.

    ReplyDelete